The Michigan Nonprofit Association provides a more detailed description of the steps necessary to start a nonprofit.
The Internal Revenue Service provides detailed information about the federal paperwork necessary to start and maintain a nonprofit.
The Foundation Center offers many useful links and articles on nonprofit start-up, including an online tutorial.
The Regional Nonprofit Alliance has some useful books on starting a nonprofit. Stop by to borrow a book or, if you aren’t close by, send us an email (RNA@ohio.edu) with the type of information you are looking for, and we’ll send you a packet of information electronically.
Books in our library include:
- Start and Grow your Faith-Based Nonprofit by Jill Esau
- Nonprofit Kit for Dummies by Stan Hutton and Frances Phillips
- Navigating the Organizational Lifecycle: A Capacity-Building Guide for Nonprofit Leaders by Paul Connolly
- Setting and Advancing the Mission by Kay Sprinkel Grace
- Structures and Practices of Nonprofit Boards by Charles Dambach